Professionalism on the phone – 5 top tips
Professionalism on the phone is important clearly. Your customers, clients and prospects will often make decisions about who they’re going to buy from based on the level of professionalism of the person they speak to.
It is also true that frequently people will pay MORE if they believe the seller they’re drawn to is more professional and more customer friendly. We’re all brought up with such phrases as “pay peanuts, you only get monkeys” and “you get what you pay for” and my favourite ” The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.”
While professional telephone behaviour is something we spend 45 minutes discussing on To Market’s telesales and customer service courses, the following are some of our top tips.
1. Start each outbound call by doing 3 things. The 3 strand intro we call it. Say who you are, your company’s name, and explain in a straightforward way, the purpose of the call. There should be no hidden agendas. If someone doesn’t want to talk to you because of where you’re calling from, you’re better off dealing with this early on.
2. Find out, and then use the other person’s name early in the call. This will make the call feel more personal to them. It also proves you’re listening.
3. Ask open questions. This is the way that you will find out what you need to know, and it also displays interest in the other person at the same time. A great tip and yet how many sales people seem to ignore this.
4. Listen, and resist the temptation to interrupt. This demonstrates respect and that you’re taking it and them seriously.
5. Demonstrate that you’re listening by acknowledging ( ‘um, yes, I see, really. ) Remember they can’t see you on the phone, so it’s even more important you acknowledge them.
There are of course many more of these tips and I’ll add a few more in a future article. But being professional is partly a state of mind. Aim to be better than the rest and you’re on your way to BEING better than the rest.
If you want to raise the bar and improve the professionalism of your telesales, customer service, or telemarketing team, talk to us on 01858 461148 or drop us a note to email@example.com
To Market runs training all across the UK, but frequently in Leicester, Birmingham, Coventry, Derby, Lichfield, Solihull, Milton Keynes, Peterborough, Bedford, Nottingham, Northampton, Wellingborough, Corby, Leamington Spa, Warwick as well as wider parts of Leicestershire and Northamptonshire.
originally posted 28th April 2014